Thursday, July 2, 2009

Chemistry and Life

Here it is and time has flown by. I am hoping to slow down now. I just finished first summer session. Chemistry was a killer. You see, I took it 17 years ago and got a D. ASU looked at my transcript and said that they would substitute 1 of my semesters of biology (I had 2) for Physics but that since I took Chemistry and got a D, I need to take it over. I could have taken it at a community college, theoretically easier content but I would have had to actually go to a lab. Taking it at ASU would be all online, even the lab (side note: I blew up the lab several times). How hard could it be, especially since I had a lab person in the house (my lovely wife) to tutor me? Let's just say that when we said "for better and worse" back in 1997 that neither of us had chemistry in mind. Long story short, I needed 4 points on the final to actually pass the class and a 62 on the final to get a B. I ended up with a 62. I had hoped for more cushion but I will take it, especially since I at least got a C and won't have to take it again. It honestly feels like a huge weight has been lifted off of me.

Izzy went to summer school and although nervous at first, did well and enjoyed it. Since she needed glasses and we didn't really know it, she was behind when we decided to enroll her. Both kids are enjoying swim team although that is rapidly coming to a close, along with the end of summer.

I have another class this summer that I have already started and it is OSHA. I actually looked forward to it as it actually applies to my major.

Now that first summer session (Chemistry and Organizational Effectiveness) is over, I can just concentrate on one class and relax a little bit. I am also cooking this weekend. Shortly here, I am going to make Frog's Eye Salad (Aunt Dolly's recipe). Also this weekend, I plan to make a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting with Reeses Peanut Butter Cups chopped in it (it is a layered cake so it would be between the layers and on top) and peanut butter chips on the side. We had some last weekend but it was dry and I decided I could do it better. Wish me luck.

Now, I just need to lose some weight. My doctor is not real happy about my current weight (the most I have ever weighed in my life) and to be honest, I am not happy with it either. I have decided to do a few things. 1) I learned in the Army that proper diet and exercise were the key. 2) I am borrowing a saying from the 12 steps program (and I really need to start walking at least those 12 steps per day) and take it "one day at a time." No more, well, my day is shot already so what is another piece of cake? Wish me luck.

No comments: