Sunday, July 5, 2009

4 am and Infomercials

I don't know how many of you are up at the hour but the next time that you are, note that for the most part, real tv stops at 4 am. There are a couple of channels that have some old movies or tv shows on but it is at 4 am that the infomercials start. I know this because I frequently am up at 4 am, although I don't want to be. I will occasionally just give it up and go downstairs but the infrequent times that the wife has to be at work at 5 am, I will just turn on the tv upstairs. This was the case for Friday morning. I was either reading the tv guide wrong or they have come up with some interesting titles for infomercials but I ended up starting to watch an infomercial about a cooking device. It could cook anything, was red, and was like a George Foreman grill. The long story short on this was that about the time I started to think that I could really use this, I decided it was time to change the channel and break the spell that I was in. I promptly went back to sleep and I do NOT have one of these grills coming to me in the next few days.

I hope everyone had a good 4th of July. Interesting programming note here, Mesa had canceled their fire works due to not enough sponsors. They (the powers that be) are working on it for next year. If you happen to look at the 2010 calendar, you will note that July 4th is on a Sunday. The last time July 4th was on a Sunday, they postponed the fire works until Monday the 5th, of which it promptly rained. The original postponement (Sunday to Monday) was due to religious reasons. I could very well have the terminology wrong and be completely off base here but if Sunday is family day (which I wholeheartedly endorse, spend one day a week with your family as a family and you probably havw a better chance of keeping the family together - I still remember growing up and having family meals). So, if Sunday is family day, wouldn't it be great to take your family to see fire works and actually celebrate the reason that you can practice your religion of choice without fear of persecution? My guess is that they will move the fireworks to Saturday or Monday next year but let's hope not.

1 comment:

Gerri said...

I hate infomercials. I think they have subliminal messages that take over your brain and trick you into buying things.