Sunday, October 11, 2009

What a mess

So my brother-in-law decided to do some lawn maintenance. Sounds like a good idea. I have never aerated this lawn and we have been here 6 years. So, he rented the aerator, was here at 7 am with it. Of course, I did not soak my lawn yesterday and should have. I will remember for next time. I also don't have a big lawn but did my best to chunk it up. Of course, Homer Jay spent a good time following me barking at the machine as it chunked up the yard. Kyra enjoyed digging her nose in the dirt looking for some sort of bugs.

We then took it to my brother-in-law's house and made quick work of that yard. So far, so good. Once the aerator was returned, I went to get some grass seed (yes, we plant grass out here in Arizona - doesn't that say something?) and steer manure. About half way home, Ryan figured out what steer manure is.

Still, so far, so good. Went to throw out the grass seed and both Homer Jay and Kyra Sue (beagles should all have two names) decided to help. They were helping by letting me throw it on them while they walked around the lawn. Much like how bees pollinate. Still, so far, so good. Now it comes time to do the manure ($1 per bag, 10 bags please).

Once I started throwing out the manure, then the fun started. As it seems, dogs have a tendency to like things that smell. I have seen theories why but truly, does it matter? So, just as they helped out with the grass seed, they helped out with the manure. In addition, they decided it might be pretty tasty. And then, they started rolling in it. This is where the mess comes in. Of course, I watered just after I threw down the grass seed. Now, with the manure, it was a pretty sight.

The kids went to get the leashes and to put in the dog door. Of course, they thought they were going for a walk, which got them very excited. They were not too excited when I started hosing them down outside, with the leash on so they wouldn't go anywhere.

Now, I just have to get a shower and do the floors as there are dirty paw prints everywhere.

Hope this finds everyone in good health.
T

2 comments:

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

sounds fun to have teh grass, don't know if i can say that about the dogs... you have your hands full

Tracy & Kellie said...

The dogs are perpetual three year olds. If you just think of it that way, it makes it better, doesn't it?

Tracy