Monday, August 31, 2009

It's a wonder

I have a neighbor that would rather poke a sharp stick in her eye than go to the bank to have something notarized. Now I don't feel that way about much but I am starting to understand. You see, this afternoon I went to the post office.

I have long felt that one way for the post office to save money is to stop Saturday delivery. In this day and age, the only thing that actually comes in the mail is junk mail and bills. Just think of the benefits. Less people to staff, less vehicles on the road, it is a win/win situation. But my point about all of this is that I am really starting to dislike the post office. I got there at 5 minutes before they closed with 12 people in front of me. So what happened in that time that I was standing there? 2 of the 3 people working the front counter left. Somehow, I don't think that would work out too well at my place of employment. Where is the customer service?

I needed to send a book back to an individual that tried to sell me a 4th edition poor excuse of a textbook as a 5th edition in excellent condition. I am sending it back to her after she refunded my money. Anyway, the envelope that I picked (cheaper than the box) was $15 to ship but the box was $10 to ship. What sense is that? I would have been better off going to FedEx or UPS, which I probably will do next time.

All of that leads me to this, when will the airlines finally realize that the reason people aren't flying is not just because of the economy but because they treat their customers like crap? Personally, I have not stepped foot on a plane in over 2 years. It isn't because I don't want to go anywhere because I could probably name off at least a dozen places without thinking about it that I would like to go to tomorrow. But I won't. And I won't because I refuse to pay that money to be treated poorly.

While I am on the subject, lately (say, the last 6 months or so), I get the impression that I am paying more but getting less at fast food joints. The biscuits used to be bigger at Churches. The fries at McDonald's used to have more in them. Guess what, I notice and my doctor wants me to quit that stuff anyway. So, with that in mind, I am eating out less.

It isn't that I am wanting any special treatment. Just treat me like you value my business.

I have a choice and I choose to vote with my wallet. You won't hear much from me unless I get exceptionally poor service. But if I get poor service, just know that you won't hear from me.

No comments: