Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Superpowers

If you could pick any superpower to be yours, what would it be? As a child, my first pick would be to fly. Eventually, as I grew older, it moved to invisibility (boy, wouldn’t that be fun to see what people are like when they don’t know that anyone is watching them), mental telepathy (obey my command!) and also reading peoples minds. I eventually grew out of those ideas and decided that having a superpower would be too much work and too much responsibility. I guess maybe if you could turn it off when you want but that is never how it works, does it?

It is funny how life works, constantly a mystery unfolding before us. I managed to read two books “for fun” recently (sadly, I am not reading anything but school books right now). The first one is by Stephanie Meyer called “The Host.” I strongly encourage everyone to read it. Not a lot of action but a very good read. I also just finished a book that I started last January, “Duma Key” by Stephen King. How are these books related, you ask? Both have an underlying aspect to it. In “The Host”, there is no more disease. Our bodies just die due to old age (or accidents). In “Duma Key,” the protagonist is able to cure a friend by drawing the friend as being healthy.

This leads me to my current superpower desire and that would be the ability to cure people. I haven’t completely thought it through to figure out the downsides to it but the positives would have to outweigh the negatives, wouldn’t it? We all have current ailments and we all know people that are currently having medical issues. How would it be to have the ability to take away their illness, especially those that we know are most serious. I don’t want the fame or the possible financial gain from it because that would take away from it, taint it. I would just like to do it to end the suffering that people go through, both the individual and the family and friends.

This has really come to mind since a co-worker was diagnosed this past Christmas with Esophageal Cancer and recently passed away. This was truly an individual that nobody had anything but good things to say about them (and we all know individuals that fit in that category and to be honest, when it is my time to go, should that be what people have to say about me, then I will consider my life as being a success). In addition, as we all are getting older, certain maladies (is that right?) are appearing in our family and friends and how good would it be to be able to take away that worry and suffering.

As frequently happens in my life, especially when most needed, church has had something relevant come out to me. This past week, the discussion came around to suffering and how suffering is needed for everyone else. Essentially, a direct correlation to Jesus suffering for us so we can be given eternal life in the everafter. That concept I can understand but us individuals as having to suffer for others, I am having trouble grasping. I haven’t decided whether I agree or disagree with it yet so I am praying on it. I actually look forward to further discussion on this particular topic.

3 comments:

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

Hum i need to send the Missionaries over!!! ha serously I don't think anyone knows when it is there time to go, but I do know that there is one person that knows, I'm am grateful that I am able to still be here that I still have work to do and maybe for me to grow in area's that i need to, but I do know that when it is our time to go that we can be happy and know that we can be together forever as a family again, its always sad to loose a loved one or even a child but I know that our Heavenly Father has a plan and that we will all be together again.. (you knew i would respond to this) and BTW did you know that Stephnie Meyers is my cousin?? her dad is my first cousin on my mom's side, she comes from a very good and strong family just thought i would let you know, you need to read her other books too I think you would like them... Thats cool that Ryan is running for that at school how fun i say pokemon cards everyone will love him!111

Tracy & Kellie said...

Chris, in no way did I want to stop death. I would want to stop suffering and premature death. When it is our time to go, that is it.

I am curious but when people die by accident (say someone is driving and they get hit and die in an "accident.") Is it an accident in God's eyes? Meaning, did he plan that that person would die at that point in time?

I am not so sure but I am not convinced either way.

Send the missionaries over. We have plenty of beer and I probably have a few Playboy's lying around that I could give them, along with The Catholic Sun (our local Catholic paper).
Tracy

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

ha ha your so funny, I think that if God needed you to still be here then i honestly think that you would survive that accident, but I think that if you are abusing things like driving while you aren't suppose to like if you have too much to drink or other things then sometimes i think that things can't be prevented.. just my thought though. but i know he has amazing powers and i don't question that.. no you would have to put your playboy material up before i could send some young men over to your house you would have to keep them in your bedroom!!!!!!! ha