Monday, September 8, 2008

Another beagle to the family

For those that missed it, please check out azbeaglerescue.com. Once the AP picked up the story, a bunch of news channels did stories yesterday. I saw three of them and although I don't watch News Channel 3 very often, they did the best story (I may have to watch them more often). Make sure to watch the full 12 minutes of the story on the link. I am surprised about how few people know about puppy mills.

Oh, back to the headline. No, it is not us getting another beagle, yet. My sister has been volunteering daily over there and is bringing one of the beagles home with her tomorrow. Apparently, she is very skittish and it will take a while for her to come out of her shell (the dog, not my sister). She (again, the dog) would not do well at our house with our active beagles but is great for my sister and her "pack."

Kellie and I are talking about fostering. Two things get in the way. 1) I would like a little older dog (puppies are a lot of work) and Kellie wants a puppy (did I say puppies are a lot of work?) so we can't agree there and 2) once we take the beagle in, I don't think we can part with him/her. It will be interesting to see what happens with my sister and the new beagle (Hera - I think).

Homer Jay found a scorpion the other night. I say night but it was really 1 am. It was on the large side and on the fence. One thing that few people realize is that dogs don't see "things" really until they are moving. So, while I had the flashlight on him, Homer was sniffing everywhere but where he was, until it moved, then he would bark at it. After about 10 minutes, I gave up on the fun and drug Homer in by the collar (at least he came willingly). For those of you that don't know, scorpions are indigineous to this area. I have only found maybe 2 in the house in all the time that we have lived here and for the most part, we leave each other alone and everyone is happy. Except for Homer. Oh, I let the scorpion live. Since it wasn't in the house, I called it no harm, no foul.

Please don't let this discourage any of you from moving out here. It is absolutely beautiful. To prove it, log into http://www.arizonahighways.com/ and check out the photo contest. One of our friends have entered a picture and I will sometime this week, if they allow it. Yes, it is Arizona Scenery, no there is no nudity. I will let y'all know when I post.

And I will keep everyone posted on the beagle front.

No comments: