Saturday, February 28, 2009

Star Trek and Soda

What an odd name for a post but here goes anyway. In college, I used to watch Star Trek, The Next Generation. Never watched any other Star Trek's before or since and in no way do I consider myself a "Trekkie". Well, I have started watching it again, from the beginning, on DVD and lo and behold, Ryan wants to join in. So, together, we are watching Star Trek with Captain Jean-Luc Picard. We plan to go and see the Star Trek exhibit at the Arizona Science Center before it leaves. I don't remember when it ends but my plan is to go sometime in March.

Ah, fountain drinks. Just saying it gives me a sense of calmness. Sadly, I came to the realization some time ago that I really needed to quit them. I tried a few times and always came back (sounds like an addiction and I would have to say that it qualified). Well, I did quit this past Wednesday and my training in addiction (yes, that was a past life) has led me to take it one day at a time. So, I have given up soda for Lent. Typically, I like to do something extra for Lent (pray the rosary more, volunteer, donate, etc.) but this time I went old school and have given it up. I don't know if I will take it up after Lent but who knows. I will just say that that I haven't had any since Tuesday, the day Ryan whacked his head open, and we shall see how it goes. I also am trying to lose weight and they say that just quitting soda will be about 15 pounds in a year so who knows.

One last thing. Several years ago I made it my goal to not to have to get on a plane at the holidays anymore. I am one day closer to that reality. My sister-in-law (and her husband and daughter) had their house packed up yesterday in Indiana and will be coming out here next week with my mother-in-law and father-in-law. They will all be living just down the street from us in a house that my M and F in-law spent 7 weeks renovating and it looks great. Now the next part is, once they get out here, for them to get jobs. In this tough time, I am hoping that it is easier than it sounds. For everyone that is jobless out there that wants to work, our hearts and prayers go to you.

You know, I haven't posted in a while or read the posts (school - 4 classes this semester) but Izzy got her glasses last night. She is very excited and I will let Kellie post about it real soon, after we get a picture.

No comments: